Skip to main content

#FrightFall Read-a-thon

Fall reading

http://seasonsreading.blogspot.com

So I'm about to start another read-a-thon with Seasons of Reading's #FrightFall

Date: October 5-11

There's only one rule to #FrightFall, and it's that we must read ONE scary book (which can be a thriller, mystery, Gothic novel, or similar for those who are faint of heart).

I don't typically read thrillers or any of the above types of books, but for this one week, I'm going to expand my horizons and try one or two. Who knows? Maybe I'll find new genre to love!

My first selection is
by E.E. Holmes

This was free on Amazon when I found it, but Prime and KU members can read it for free anytime. I'm extremely picky about downloading free books, but this had good reviews on both Amazon and Goodreads, and the synopsis was appealing:

“The Gateway is open...” These cryptic words wake college student Jess Ballard from a terrifying dream into an even more terrifying reality. Jess' life has never been what anyone would call easy; doing damage control in the wake of your nomadic, alcoholic mother doesn't exactly make for a storybook childhood. But now her world has fallen apart just when it should be coming together: her mother gone—dead under mysterious circumstances; her life uprooted to stay with estranged relatives she’s never met; and there’s something odd about some of the people she’s been meeting at school: They’re dead.



Thinking about joining in? You can join #FrightFall from Facebook, Twitter, or Goodreads.
It's free, you'll get to know other readers, and best of all, there's prizes!
Click here to check it out and join along:

Comments

  1. Hi there! Thanks for the visit! That looks like an interesting read, I may have to add it to my wishlist! Have a great FrightFall week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the readathon! I love the cover on Spirit Legacy and it looks perfectly spooky!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grabbed it also while it was free. I am going to try and read as many as I can this week and visit to find more.
    Please see the mild collection I chose for my opening post.
    http://dogsmomvisits.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Suzanne! I'm finally making the rounds. I so love it when my authors who donate prizes also participate in the reading. Spirit Legacy...what a gorgeous cover! I hope you're enjoying it. Thanks again for the prize donation and for joining us in the reading. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Meet author Jan Sikes

I'm happy to share my blog with with fellow member authors of  Rave Reviews Book Club   as part of the RRBC's  Pay It Forward Week. Initially introduced by author Bethany Turner, the concept of Pay It Forward is to profile, promote and propel another fellow club member to new audiences for the day. This month I have the honor of hosting Jan Sikes. Jan has authored four books about the journey of two people moving through adversity, growing and learning about life and love. Interestingly, though she uses fictitious names, the books chronicle her life and relationship with her husband, the late singer-songwriter, Rick Sikes. This North Texan incorporates bits of wisdom and hard-learned lessons in her fiction stories and hopes to reach readers in a positive way. Her titles include: Flowers and Stone  Nothing could have prepared Darlina Flowers for the reckless Texas rogue musician, Luke Stone, to come stampeding into her life like a team of wild hor...

The Move Part 3 - The Finale

It’s Done Last month, my husband and I successfully sold our home of 37-plus years. I’d heard hair-raising stories of closings that went wrong, but thankfully, our closing went smoothly. The weeks leading up to the closing, however, were anything but. We secured our house’s elusive Certificate of Occupancy, but the buyer’s title company disputed the property lines, putting us under a tight deadline to talk to and secure notarized affidavits from neighbors bordering our property. Though we moved into our new apartment, we had to return to the house to shower and cook for two weeks while we chased after the gas utility company to turn on our service. Emptying the rooms, deciding what to part with, what to save, and  getting rid of stuff  was both physically and emotionally taxing. And we’d forgotten about a small attic! Our adult son and his large, older dog, Winston, were still living in the house, sleeping on a blowup mattress, basically squatting amongst the unwanted remains,...

Cover Wars

New Cover Samples Okay, feedback of the first two cover samples suggest one photo is too difficult to make out, and the other, the one with the couple on beach looks like a YA novel cover. The couple in the story is in their twenties, but it is certainly not a YA novel. I call it a literary love story, but the newly coined genre, New Adult, is also an appropriate fit. There is explicit language and scenes. With that in mind, here are two new variations of the cover. Please keep the comments coming! Other photo options: Here are two other photos I like, but are much more suggestive. My favorite photo by far is the one on the left as the couple actually looks similar to how I envision my characters. Unfortunately I couldn't download files big enough to insert in my sample cover. Photoshop effect added