Skip to main content

It's the small things…

As an indie author, I have learned to celebrate even the smallest successes — a nice review, a book sale, or a kind word about my writing. In this vein, I am excited to announce that Saving Toby met the fairly stringent criteria of the vetting process for Indies Unlimited and is now listed on the website.

Besides having my book added to the site, part of the perks is getting to do an author interview. Here are some of the questions with my answers.

Q: How did you come up with the title for your book? Does it have any special meaning?
This is a working title that fit the story. Toby Faye is a troubled guy whose story goes from bad to worse. As Toby begins a dark, downward spiral, I wanted readers to wonder, and worry, how and if he’d be able to pick up the pieces.

Q: Who was your favorite character and why?
Toby – this is his story; his journey, and I enjoyed writing his POV. From his humor to this angst, his cocky arrogance to his emotional fallout, he was such a great character to write.

Q: What would/could a reader or reviewer say about this book that shows they “get” you as an author?
I wrote the story to be an emotional read of both highs and lows. When a reader exclaims that the story put them on an emotional rollercoaster, and that they cried and laughed while reading the story, I feel they got me.

You can read more of the interview on Indies Unlimited:
http://www.indiesunlimited.com/2014/07/04/book-brief-saving-toby/

Peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet author Jan Sikes

I'm happy to share my blog with with fellow member authors of  Rave Reviews Book Club   as part of the RRBC's  Pay It Forward Week. Initially introduced by author Bethany Turner, the concept of Pay It Forward is to profile, promote and propel another fellow club member to new audiences for the day. This month I have the honor of hosting Jan Sikes. Jan has authored four books about the journey of two people moving through adversity, growing and learning about life and love. Interestingly, though she uses fictitious names, the books chronicle her life and relationship with her husband, the late singer-songwriter, Rick Sikes. This North Texan incorporates bits of wisdom and hard-learned lessons in her fiction stories and hopes to reach readers in a positive way. Her titles include: Flowers and Stone  Nothing could have prepared Darlina Flowers for the reckless Texas rogue musician, Luke Stone, to come stampeding into her life like a team of wild hor...

The Move Part 3 - The Finale

It’s Done Last month, my husband and I successfully sold our home of 37-plus years. I’d heard hair-raising stories of closings that went wrong, but thankfully, our closing went smoothly. The weeks leading up to the closing, however, were anything but. We secured our house’s elusive Certificate of Occupancy, but the buyer’s title company disputed the property lines, putting us under a tight deadline to talk to and secure notarized affidavits from neighbors bordering our property. Though we moved into our new apartment, we had to return to the house to shower and cook for two weeks while we chased after the gas utility company to turn on our service. Emptying the rooms, deciding what to part with, what to save, and  getting rid of stuff  was both physically and emotionally taxing. And we’d forgotten about a small attic! Our adult son and his large, older dog, Winston, were still living in the house, sleeping on a blowup mattress, basically squatting amongst the unwanted remains,...

Cover Wars

New Cover Samples Okay, feedback of the first two cover samples suggest one photo is too difficult to make out, and the other, the one with the couple on beach looks like a YA novel cover. The couple in the story is in their twenties, but it is certainly not a YA novel. I call it a literary love story, but the newly coined genre, New Adult, is also an appropriate fit. There is explicit language and scenes. With that in mind, here are two new variations of the cover. Please keep the comments coming! Other photo options: Here are two other photos I like, but are much more suggestive. My favorite photo by far is the one on the left as the couple actually looks similar to how I envision my characters. Unfortunately I couldn't download files big enough to insert in my sample cover. Photoshop effect added