Skip to main content

Spring into Horror Read-a-thon Wrap Up

Wrapping up Seasons of Reading's #SpringHorror reading challenge. 

I got through two of the three books on my TBR for this challenge.

I read Desperation Road by Michael Farris Smith first. It's an interesting book about two people down on their luck crossing paths, but definitely not a horror story. I'm not sure it even classifies as a thriller. I saw it on someone else's #SpringHorror post and took it for myself. Despite it, I enjoyed its slow ambling language.

Second up was The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman. I love Gaiman's speeches and have numerous quotes of his around my writing space, all which inspire me in my journey as a writer, but a few chapters in, I'm sorry to say, I just wasn't feeling it. It wasn't the writing. Gaiman's writing is lean, crisp and articulate. Perhaps that it was because the book is Young Adult and I had my mind on a more mature genre and a book that would unsettle me a bit.

After bailing on Gaiman, I went to Bird Box by Josh Malarian which a friend had recommended to me years ago. Bird Box is dystopian in nature, and mildly spooky. This was the book I'd been looking for, the one that unsettled me a bit. From the first page, I was hooked. I can't imagine not being able to open my eyes, to have to blindly try to survive such an apocalyptic situation. Frightening. Quick and fluid, this book moves and I'd recommend it to anyone who enjoys a thriller.

Thanks to Michelle over at Seasons of Reading for yet again getting me to read outside my typical genre. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet author Jan Sikes

I'm happy to share my blog with with fellow member authors of  Rave Reviews Book Club   as part of the RRBC's  Pay It Forward Week. Initially introduced by author Bethany Turner, the concept of Pay It Forward is to profile, promote and propel another fellow club member to new audiences for the day. This month I have the honor of hosting Jan Sikes. Jan has authored four books about the journey of two people moving through adversity, growing and learning about life and love. Interestingly, though she uses fictitious names, the books chronicle her life and relationship with her husband, the late singer-songwriter, Rick Sikes. This North Texan incorporates bits of wisdom and hard-learned lessons in her fiction stories and hopes to reach readers in a positive way. Her titles include: Flowers and Stone  Nothing could have prepared Darlina Flowers for the reckless Texas rogue musician, Luke Stone, to come stampeding into her life like a team of wild hor...

The Move Part 3 - The Finale

It’s Done Last month, my husband and I successfully sold our home of 37-plus years. I’d heard hair-raising stories of closings that went wrong, but thankfully, our closing went smoothly. The weeks leading up to the closing, however, were anything but. We secured our house’s elusive Certificate of Occupancy, but the buyer’s title company disputed the property lines, putting us under a tight deadline to talk to and secure notarized affidavits from neighbors bordering our property. Though we moved into our new apartment, we had to return to the house to shower and cook for two weeks while we chased after the gas utility company to turn on our service. Emptying the rooms, deciding what to part with, what to save, and  getting rid of stuff  was both physically and emotionally taxing. And we’d forgotten about a small attic! Our adult son and his large, older dog, Winston, were still living in the house, sleeping on a blowup mattress, basically squatting amongst the unwanted remains,...

Cover Wars

New Cover Samples Okay, feedback of the first two cover samples suggest one photo is too difficult to make out, and the other, the one with the couple on beach looks like a YA novel cover. The couple in the story is in their twenties, but it is certainly not a YA novel. I call it a literary love story, but the newly coined genre, New Adult, is also an appropriate fit. There is explicit language and scenes. With that in mind, here are two new variations of the cover. Please keep the comments coming! Other photo options: Here are two other photos I like, but are much more suggestive. My favorite photo by far is the one on the left as the couple actually looks similar to how I envision my characters. Unfortunately I couldn't download files big enough to insert in my sample cover. Photoshop effect added